Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Good Luck Chuck and Premonition.

Good Luck Chuck (a raunchy comedy from September of 2007) was AWFUL. It's not even the kinda bad that's kinda good. It achieves the rare status of embarrassing. Like, I was embarrassed to be aware of it. A few years ago, before Dane Cook kinda played himself out, I was dying to see a movie with him in it. And throughout this piece of shit, you catch occasional glimpses of his inventive on-stage persona. But they are quickly buried in the production's carefully-honed humorless void. So this movie becomes like a tragedy.

I think Dane Cook could play a quippy Jim Carrey-esque leading man. I think Jessica Alba could play a beautiful klutz. I think Dan Fogler could play a... friend of a guy in a movie. But Good Luck Chuck is completely beneath everyone involved. The characters are inhuman and every aspect of the script is asinine. I only enjoyed it on the level that old people enjoy the surrogate company of talk radio.

On the other hand, I really dug Premonition. It's a drama from March of 2007, in which Sandra Bullock plays a woman who... well, I don't want to give anything away. This movie is weird and kinda fucked up. It reminded me a lot of The Butterfly Effect, which I liked a lot. The last thing I saw Sandra Bullock in before this was 2006's The Lake House. I wonder if she's consciously attracted to these straight dramas with supernatural twists. There's a point in this movie where her character even goes to look at lake houses. The two movies would actually make a kickass two-pack at Walmart. Maybe she intended this as kind of a completely unrelated, yet thematic sequel. Like Speed 2.

This is a very intense drama, but there's a great gag reel on the DVD. It's funnier than Good Luck Chuck.

Cheers,
Diego

No comments: